Monument record BUR 047 - Former deer park in Burgate

Please read our .

Summary

Deer park, first recorded in 1362.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 07 75 (1116m by 1186m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TM07NE
Civil Parish BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Deer park, first recorded in 1362 (S1)(S2). Bugate Hall marked on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S3) and 1st edition OS map (S4). Mapping of deer park follows the field boundaries surrounding Burgate Hall (excluding the church), which haven't changed since 1783 and depict the typical shape of a deer park.

Further research needed.

Formerly recorded as BUR MISC

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks 1086-1600', 66-7.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
  • <S4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 17 2018 12:44PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.