Poorly Located Monument record ADH 019 - Site of Medieval deer park, Aldham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 04 45 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ALDHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Deer park first recorded in 1296 (S1)(S2)(S3). Exact extent unknown. 1st edition OS map shows Aldham Park Wood at TM038453 and Park Wood at TM 033453 which may give an approximate location of the park (S4).
Aldham Hall (ADH 016) is a 16th century builing which sits inside a possible medieval moat and is marked on Saxton's 1575 map of Suffolk (S5)
Formerly recorded as ADH MISC
- <S1> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- <S2> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks 1086-1600', 66-7.
- <S3> SSF50166 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1988. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk. Rackham O, 'Medieval Deer Parks 52-3.
- <S4> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
- <S5> SSF50162 Cartographic materials: Saxton, C.. 1575. SVFFOLCIA.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:38AM