Poorly Located Monument record BAR 127 - Site of Medieval deer park, Wyken, Bardwell

Please read our .

Summary

Deer park between 1400 and circa 1602, exact location unknown. Formerly recorded as BAR MISC.

Location

Grid reference TL 96 71 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL97SE
Civil Parish BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish STANTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
District ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Deer park recorded 1557 (S1)(S2)(S3)(R1).

Exact location not know. Wyken Hall is marked on Hodskinson's 1783 map and 1st edition OS map. Extent of park may include Dovehouse Wood and Park Farm to the north. Extent to the south not known.

Formerly recorded as BAR MISC.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <R1> (No record type): Shirley E P, English deerparks, 1867, 121.
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Hoppitt R, 'Deer Parks 1086-1600', 66-7.
  • <S3> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL97SW40, 1977.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 21 2020 8:38AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.