Monument record BUN 101 - Burials at St Mary's Church, Bungay
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3366 8972 (29m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
2013: Archaeological monitoring produced evidence of a flint footing possibly for a previous version of the building together with an earlier clay floor. Burials that may pre-date the existing nave suggest that the current church encroached over part of the graveyard when it was re-built in the 15th century were also found, along with evidence of the remedial work carried out on the church after the great fire of Bungay in 1688. In the graveyard an earlier perimeter wall built just inside the current boundary was found. The earlier wall constructed in c.15th century was built over an existing burial without disturbing the skeletal remains and demonstrates how the graveyard edge has fluctuated over time (S1).
- <S1> SSF55234 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 2013. Archaeological Monitoring Report, St Mary's Church Meeting Room, Bungay.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2018 1:45PM