Monument record BNH 002 - Barnham Number 1 pit (Neo)

Please read our .

Summary

Worked flints and flakes which were found in abundance by Basil Brown in 1940's during visit to a working pit.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 885 799 (463m by 547m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL87NE
Civil Parish BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

The site lies in the loop of the Little Ouse river on Barnham Heath. The pit was operated by Messrs Allen Newport Limited and Basil Brown first heard of finds from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in January 1946. He visited the pit whilst work was in process and all the Pal artefacts came from this pit at a depth of 16 to 20 feet when a chalk layer was uncovered and the excavator did not go any deeper. Most of the artefacts came from the S and SE faces of the pit while they were being excavated and watched by Brown but many others were retrieved from the conveyor belt by workmen, but as the faces were being continually destroyed grid reference locations cannot be given. The pit was closed in 1948 and re-opened in 1952-1953 and extended N to the river covering the area centred at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) although there is no record of any Pal material coming from this new area. The enlarging of the pit in 1952 also covered the area at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), Barnham BNH 018, where Basil Brown found IA and Rom hut sites and pottery from 1946-1948.
During the original excavations the small tumulus excavated by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in 1913 (BNH 016) was pushed into the pit which must have extended at least to the edge of it and possibly beyond. The extent of the 1948 workings cannot be defined as Basil Brown's map and information held by SAU is not specific (S1).
Whilst the original pit was being worked at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) C during 1946 to 1948, Basil Brown reported many finds of Neo artefacts to the N of this pit and extending into the area of the workings begun in 1952 - 1953. When he heard the area was to be reopened he made a special visit to the site in 1952 to collect as many as he could before the new pit was excavated. Apart from mentioning a tranchet arrowhead specifically he generalises all the artefacts found as worked flints and flakes which were in abundance, in fact he states that it is the most prolific area he has ever seen (S2).
See also Pal & BA.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 1, card index 26, 28; VIII, 122-128, 132; X, 109, 120-122, 125, 127, 128; LXVII, 84; LX.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map, card index.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 1, card index 25, 28; VIII, 122, 123, 125, 126; X, 127, 128, 130; LXX, 75, 108, 110; XC.
  • <S3> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL88SE4,.
  • <S4> Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1946-137, 1946.
  • <S5> Source Unchecked: Plouviez J. SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card,. SAU, Plouviez J, SMR card,.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 4 2019 2:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.