Monument record FEX 010 - Findspot of a Bronze-Age hoard, including a barbed spearhead and socketed axe.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 295 342 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze hoard, LBA, found in the first railway cutting near Felixstowe. Railway built 1877. 1(?) type IV barbed spearhead, with South-eastern type socketed axe (S3).
'Two bronze socketed spearheads and a socketed celt are also exhibited in Ipswich Museum labelled "from Felixstowe" but they are thought by the museum staff to have been found together with "1" & "2" above' [the spearhead and axe above] (S4).
1 socketed axe, 2 socketed [pegged] spearheads (S1)(S2). (Ipswich Museum acquired at the same time a socketed axe and 2 basal looped spearheads, also from Felixstowe - see FEX Misc (CRN 13346). See also BA Misc for other hoards from Felixstowe.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-51, 1920.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-41, 1920.
- <S3> SSF4032 (No record type): Coombs D, `Type IV barbed spearheads of the British LBA - Additions', Archaeol J, 131, 1974, 264.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM23SE3.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2021 9:37AM