Monument record FEX 030 - Walton Castle (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Castle of (built by?) Hugh Bigod, destroyed 1176 by Henry II (S1)(S3)(R1), probably situated within shore fort (?NE corner).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3225 3580 (50m by 51m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TM33NW
Civil Parish FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Castle of (built by?) Hugh Bigod, destroyed 1176 by Henry II (S1)(S3)(R1), probably situated within shore fort (?NE corner).
Besieged in 1173 by Earl of Leicester when described as the King's Castle of Walton and said to lie in NE angle of old Roman fort (S2).
In 1154 Pope Adrian confirmed the grant of the Chapel of Walton Castle to the Priory (S3)(R2).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <R1> (No record type): Pipe Roll of 22 Hen II, 1176.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 288-9 (plan with "ruins" in NE corner).
  • <R2> (No record type): Mothersole J, The Saxon Shore, 1924, 246.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 22, 1934, 112.
  • <S3> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW2.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 16 1995 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.