Monument record FEX 030 - Walton Castle (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3225 3580 (50m by 51m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Castle of (built by?) Hugh Bigod, destroyed 1176 by Henry II (S1)(S3)(R1), probably situated within shore fort (?NE corner).
Besieged in 1173 by Earl of Leicester when described as the King's Castle of Walton and said to lie in NE angle of old Roman fort (S2).
In 1154 Pope Adrian confirmed the grant of the Chapel of Walton Castle to the Priory (S3)(R2).
- <R1> SSF16406 (No record type): Pipe Roll of 22 Hen II, 1176.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 288-9 (plan with "ruins" in NE corner).
- <R2> SSF11568 (No record type): Mothersole J, The Saxon Shore, 1924, 246.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 22, 1934, 112.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33NW2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 1995 12:00AM