Monument record FEX 065 - Bronze-Age ring ditch, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3098 3668 (55m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch (single), circa 38m in diameter. Close to a second ring ditch with a concentric inner ditch, FEX 066 (S1).
The remains of a possible Bronze Age round barrow are visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch of large diameter but narrow width, circa 500 metres to the south-east of Gulpher Hall, Felixstowe parish, centred on circa TM 30993668. The cropmark is circa 1.5 metres wide but up to 37 metres in diameter at its widest point. Archaeological features cannot be seen as cropmarks within the ring ditch. Three other ring ditches of similar size can be seen in the immediate area (see FEX 066, FEX 259 AND FEX 260). (S1, S3-S4)
- <S1> SSF18521 (No record type): SAU, AP AGK 19.
- <M1> SSF45986 (No record type): APs: AGK 19; Essex C C CP/96/17/3.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3136/1 (SFU 11565) ?1-JUL-1977.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/17/3, June 1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3136/36 (21725/06) 13-AUG-2002.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3136/14 (1832/436) 31-JUL-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2013 4:35PM