Monument record WGD 001 - Wingfield Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 222 772 (121m by 143m)|
|Civil Parish||WINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Wingfield Castle - large trapezoid moat, occupied, adjoins E side of Green (S2)(S3).
S front 1384, much of rest Tudor. Central gatehouse, walls, corner turrets. "Probably built by Michael de la Pole, first Earl of Suffolk, who had licence to crenellate, 1384. Present house early C16; surviving castle walls restored in modern times. Fine wooden door to gatehouse; evidence in interior of walls, of position of chapel, as well as fireplaces and roofs of vanished buildings." (S1).
1856 plan of castle and moat in Record Office (Bury).
March 1952: The remains of Wingfield castle area as shown. The western wing is used as private residence and the eastern wing as an implement building. The southern portion consists of corner towers, an entrance tower, and outer wall. The whole is surrounded by a moat (S4).
June 1993: Monitoring of foundation trench for proposed north porch. No finds were recovered from this monitoring visit and no archaeological features were noted in the trench sides or bottom except
the foundations for the modern brick wall which had formed the boundary for this former yard area. (S5)
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU ADE 24, CEK 19-20; CUCAP LG 20, BHM 70, 72.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 35, 1984 (4), 334.
- <R1> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk.
- <R2> SSF4041 (No record type): Copinger Hill, Manors of Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP LG 20, 1953; BHM 70, 72.
- <S3> SSF18755 (No record type): SAU, APs ADE 24, CEK 19-20.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM27NW2.
- <S5> SSF59157 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1993. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Constructionof North Porch, Wigfield Castle, Wigfield (WGD 001).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 11:06AM