Monument record WGD 007 - Wingfield College (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2301 7676 (17m by 35m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Priests college, founded 1362. Cecil Hewett dates hall to circa 1300; priests probably took over and extended manor house of Wingfields. Only surviving timber-framed medieval religious house, disguised as Palladian building in C18 and believed destroyed until restoration by present owner (S1)(S3).
Morley confirms the building had been a religious college presided over by a succession of provosts in the C14-C16. In this time the College was granted and bequeathed land in the surrounding villages, including land in Wingfield & Stradbroke. According to Morley dissolution of the College occurred in 1542. Writing in 1928 he comments that the building resembled a house of 1700' (S4).
Medieval aisled hall is dated c.1383 by Martin Bridge, based on his knowledge of dendrochronology (S9).
College was built in three phases over a period of 20-30 years (S10).
1997: Geophysical survey (S2) - details in file.
1999: Tree-ring analysis, Wingfield College was founded in AD 1362, although the date of the extant building is not known with certainty. Three early phases of construction have been hypothesised in recent studies of the building, and it was hoped that dendrochronological study might be able to confirm their veracity and date them more accurately. Unfortunately, most of the trees felled for this building were under fifty years old and only three timbers dated, their felling date range suggesting a period for the construction of the third proposed phase in the early AD 1380s. It is suggested that a programme of tree-ring studies is needed in this region to improve the chances of successful dendrochronological dating in the future (S11).
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 33, 1973, 86-88.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 334.
- <R2> SSF10351 Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles & Hadcock, 1971, 419, 444.
- <S2> SSF6826 (No record type): Geophysical surveys of Bradford, Report of Geophysical survey: Wingfield College Suffolk, Report 97/.
- <R3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 331-340.
- <S3> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 152.
- <S4> SSF50061 Bibliographic reference: Morley C. Medieval History of Suffolk. Morley C (ms in Suffolk RO HD 603/2/13 ms 1928).
- <S5> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Abbott C, Monitoring Report, Februrary 1996.
- <S6> SSF54398 Unpublished document: Bridge M. 1999. Tree-ring Analysis of Timbers from Wingfield College, Wingfield.
- <S7> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Aitken P, Historic Buildings Consultant Building Appraisal Report.
- <S8> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Geophysical Surveys of Brockford, Survey 97/69, SCCAS.
- <S9> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Walker, P & J, 'Running Rings Around Suffolk',SHB6 Eavesdropper 21, Spring 2002.
- <S10> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. http://members.aol.com/MarBrdg, February 2003.
- <S11> SSF54398 Unpublished document: Bridge M. 1999. Tree-ring Analysis of Timbers from Wingfield College, Wingfield.
- <S12> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S13> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Hartismere Suff April 1950 153.
- <S14> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 CDA 17-SEP-76.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2021 5:41PM