Monument record DNN 017 - Runton's Moat

Please read our .


Moat, double, rectangular, unoccupied, on parish boundary.


Grid reference Centred TM 272 711 (165m by 124m)
Map sheet TM27SE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Moat, double, rectangular, unoccupied, on parish boundary. N & W sides survive as field boundaries, but the rest has been flattened and now only shows a cropmark (S1). Field name `Runtings' on the N side indicates that this is the `Runton's Moat' mentioned in 1844 (S2). Site of the Manor of Rounton's or Rungeton's, held by the de Rungeton family in the late C13 and early C14 (S3). William de Rungeton was Lord of Tannington and Brundish in 1316 (S4). The manor house is said to have been burnt together with the manor court books `since which time all the lands in Brundish and Tannington have been free (S2).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, APs ADE 10, ADF 14.
  • <R1> Photograph: OS, AP. AP 241 165 + 164 (1975).
  • <M1> Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ADE 10, ADF 14.
  • <S2> (No record type): Page A, Supplement to Suffolk Traveller, 1844, 380-1.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol IV.
  • <S4> (No record type): Feudal Aids, HMSO.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2011 2:57PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.