Monument record DNN 019 - The Lays Fishponds
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2929 6848 (91m by 165m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DENNINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Fishponds. L-shaped pond 92m N-S, 18m wide, 1.5m deep, drained into second subrectangular pond. Used as osier bed on Tithe Map (1840)(S1). 1993: The monument includes two fishponds and associated earthworks, SE of maot at Dennington Hall (SAM 21304). N pond is `L'-shaped, 92m x 65m, 1.5m deep. Earthen dam 6m wide and 1-1.5m high lies to S and separates pond from a second, sub-rectangular pond, 63 x 45m. Ponds fed by stream and connected by sluice, remains of which survive at W end of dam. The boundary of an enclosure relating to the ponds is marked by hedgerow running parallel on E side, and is included in scheduled area (S2).
Note change of NGR from TM 2929 6850. Scheduled November 1993.
- <M1> SSF41676 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM26NE23, ill.
- <S2> SSF5682 (No record type): EH, Scheduling information, November 1993.
- <S3> SSF60083 Map: 1840. Dennington Tithe Map.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 10:59AM