Monument record BUH 003 - Chantry Farm

Please read our .

Summary

Moat, 3 sides trapeze, occupied, fish pond complex on E side.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 271 694 (160m by 120m)
Map sheet TM26NE
Civil Parish BRUNDISH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Moat, 3 sides trapeze, occupied, fish pond complex on E side. Adjoins S side of churchyard (S1). Fish ponds consist of 3 straight, parallel ponds joined at their N ends. This was the residence of the Master of the Brundish Chantry. The chantry was founded in 1385 by John de Pieshale and other local landowners for prayers to be said for their souls at an altar in the church. The chantry was suppressed in 1545 and the land taken by the Crown (S2)(S3).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM26NE7.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: letter to FWAG, 1994.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol IV.
  • <S3> (No record type): Excursion Notes, PSIA 37, pt 3, 1991, 287.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Meredith, J.. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring Report, New Cartlodge, The Chantry, Church lane, Brundish.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jan 12 2018 4:36PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.