Monument record ESO 002 - Earl Soham Lodge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 232 634 (170m by 123m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EARL SOHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Moat, circular, isolated. Occupied by a C18 house incorporating circa C16 fabric (S1)(R1). Listed building details not checked. For detailed description of buildings (including dovecote, chapel etc) in 1439 see estate accounts in Suffolk Records Office (Ipswich VS/18/2.1).
1993: The moated site consists of sub-circular island, overall dimensions 95m x 90m, surrounded by water-filled moat 2m-2.5m deep, crossed on S side by C16 brick built bridge (listed Grade II). Grade II listed house of C16 and earlier stands on island, also walls and "substantial foundations". 30m E of moat is a [separately scheduled area] flight of three parallel, rectangular fish ponds, terraced into slope [in 'Dove House Meadow' as named on tithe map]. An outlet from E side of moat leads to largest pond. Largest pond is 32m x 15m with 2m wide channel leading to next two ponds, measuring 19m x 8m and 45m x 8m. All ponds silted but seasonally wet. S end of system bounded by earthen bank c. 0.5m high.
Scheduled November 1993 (S2). For additional notes on surrounding (non-scheduled) area, see (S3).
For associated medieval deer park see ESO 015.
- <R1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1961, 175.
- <M1> SSF44230 (No record type): SAM file: (S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 608.
- <S2> SSF5682 (No record type): EH, Scheduling information, November 1993.
- <S3> SSF19114 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, site notes, May 1996.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2010 12:14PM