Monument record BLG 035 - Quarry pits of Roman or medieval date at Kingfisher Drive
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 116 507 (105m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BLAKENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2015: Evaluation trenching revealed a series of six quarry pits and a field system of ditches. The quarry pits were largely absent of finds, although one contained eight sherds of 3rd to 4th century Roman pottery and another contained a fragment of whetstone of possible medieval date. , which tentative dates these features. Therefore, either of these dates could be conceivable for these quarry pits. The field system ditches were orientated on a north-west to south-east alignment. These ditches may correspond to a field boundary marked on the 1840 tithe map (S1).
- <S1> SSF56608 Unpublished document: Barlow, G. & Mustchin, A.. 2015. Kingfisher Drive, Great Blakenham, Suffolk: Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation.
- FSF43095: POTTERY (Roman - 200 AD to 399 AD)
- FSF43096: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF43097: WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF43098: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 20 2017 12:44PM