Monument record FXL 004 - "Pole Hill" Round Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2364 4414 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pole Hill - Round Barrow.
1935: Pole Hill, bowl barrow, no visible ditch, tree covered, 6 feet high, 32 yards diameter (R1).
1940: Trenched by the military (R3). Note: at S end of 1st and 2nd WW airfield (see MRM 083).
Possible photograph of "Pole Hill" circa 1950s in Basil Brown archive (S1).
1962: Bowl barrow, 25m diameter and 1.7m high, no trace of a ditch. Tree and gorse covered and mutilated on its E side, but generally in good condition (R2).
1977: 28m N-S, 23.5m E-W, 1.9m high. An island in a ploughed field. Covered with fir trees, bracken and gorse (R4).
A group of seven round barrows, one of large size known as the "Devils Ring" and similar to the ship-burial at Sutton Hoo. "Pole Hill" is an isolated barrow 470 yards WSW of the main group. "Devils Ring" barrow group was emergency excavated in 1950s and the land turned to farming, it no longer exists. "Pole Hill" is a prominent barrow approximately 1.5m high and 15m diameter (S2).
1991: Said to be maintained (S3).
- <R1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF42723 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XC, BHJ 2.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW4.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: SAU AGF 20, AFD 11.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <M3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <R3> SSF7805 (No record type): IPSMG, 1:10560 map.
- <M4> SSF42726 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R4> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <R5> SSF18294 (No record type): SAU, AP AGF 20, AFD 11.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13985)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13929)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by NWHCM (Ref: NWHCM) (ESF12814)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13519)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13790)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 4:49PM