Monument record SUT 038 - Group of round barrows, Sutton Hoo; Sutton Mounts (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 288 487 (228m by 385m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Group of at least 15 round barrows (upto 19 have been claimed) - see SUT 004- 019. Known as Sutton Mounts or now, more commonly, as Sutton Hoo.
One barrow excavated 1860 when 2 bushels of iron bolts were found (S1).
3 barrows (SUT 005-007) excavated by Basil Brown in 1938 (and main ship burial in 1939 - see SUT 004); barrow containing ship burial mound re-excavated by R Bruce-Mitford and P Ashbee 1965-1970 (S2).
Part of SUT 008 and areas to the west and east of it excavated by I Longworth and I Kinnes 1966 and 1968-1970. These excavations revealed inhumation and cremation burials outside the mounds (S3).
Further excavations on various barrows in the group by M Carver (Univ of York), from 1984 onwards (see S8 for details), revealed more inhumation graves just outside the Scheduled area on the E side. Also SUT 005 (smaller ship-mound) re-excavated (S4).
Scheduled Monument (M1).
- <M1> SSF45429 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF7625 (No record type): Hoppitt R, Sutton Hoo 1860, PSIA, 36, 1, 1985, 41-42.
- <R1> SSF7745 (No record type): IPJ/24.11.1860.
- <S2> SSF2436 (No record type): Bruce Mitford R, The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 3 vols, 1975, 1978, 1983.
- <M2> SSF45430 (No record type): APs: ECC 504/4-12, 30 June 1993.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA/36/1985/41-42.
- <S3> SSF10607 (No record type): Longworth, I.H. & Kinnes, I.A.. Longworth I H and Kinnes I A, Sutton Hoo Excavations 1966, 1968-1970, Brit Mus Occ Paper 23, 1980.
- <R3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA/36/1986/155.
- <S4> SSF2922 (No record type): Bull Sutton Hoo Res Comm, 4, 1986.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA/36/1987/239-240.
- <S5> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S6> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, JGB 8-12, July 1992.
- <S7> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, AP, 148.1, 15 July 1976.
- <S8> SSF55173 Bibliographic reference: Carver M. 2005. Sutton Hoo: A seventh-century princely burial ground and its context.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Anon (Ref: Anon) (ESF15780)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Brown B and Phillips C W (Ref: Brown B and Phillips C W) (ESF16103)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Bruce Mitford R and Ashbee P (Ref: Bruce Mitford R and Ashbee P) (ESF16151)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Carver M (Ref: Carver M) (ESF16171)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Longworth I and Kinnes I (Ref: Longworth I and Kinnes I) (ESF16165)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical survey, Roay Burial Sutton Hoo (Ref: oasis-sumogeophys1-433493) (ESF28624)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2021 2:45PM