Poorly Located Monument record WSW 132 - Circular enclosure located on West Stow heath excavated in 1878

Please read our .

Summary

Circular enclosure located on West Stow heath. Excavated by H. Prigg in 1878

Location

Grid reference TL 805 715 (point)
Map sheet TL87SW
Civil Parish WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Circa 1878: "Mr Prigg, about 1878, made excavations within an earthwork on the heath (West Stow). A circular enclosure, about 340ft in diameter contained fragments of 'celtic' pottery and flint implements. About half the enclosure was a raised circular bank, the other half an ordinary ditch." (S1) (R1).
Site located to four figure grid reference. Exact location is unclear but located on West Stow heath.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. Pg 382.
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 37, 1881, 152-5. Prigg H. "Roman pottery kilns, West Stow heath"..

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 7 2020 10:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.