Monument record FXL 007 - Foxhall Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2335 4434 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1935: Large bowl barrow, marked on OS 1 inch map 1838 (S1).
1962: This feature is situated on a slight ridge in an area well endowed with bowl barrows. It measures approx 20m in diameter and 0.8m high, no trace of a ditch. Under cultivation at time of visit and supporting a much poorer crop than the surrounding ground. It is probably a bowl barrow (S2).
1977: 0.29m high, 17m diameter, under plough at edge of field near road (S3).
A probable bowl barrow of Bronze Age date is visible as an earthwork on Brightwell Hearh, on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, Foxhall parish. It appears to be circa 17 metres in diameter, but by the 1970s is much eroded (S4, S5).
- <M1> SSF35043 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S1> SSF7198 (No record type): Grinsell L V, Notes on Suffolk Barrows; Ms in NWHCM.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW1.
- <S3> SSF19390 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1977.
- <S4> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC288 13002-3 19-APR-1944.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/77126 024 29-AUG-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 4:53PM