Monument record SUT 268 - Former earthworks of linear banks and ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3135 4583 (367m by 512m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- TOFT? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DRAINAGE DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
September 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Former earthworks of linear banks and ditches are visible on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3) to the north and south of Sandy Lane, Sutton. It is possible that some of these could relate to former land divisions such as medieval tofts, although it is likely that they relate to post medieval drainage ditches, additional to those depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S4). Earthworks which are similar in character were recorded to the south (SHER SUT 269).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 23rd September 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5004-5005 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4056-4057 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Area 51 JUN-1999 (Digital).
- <S4> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2015 3:44PM