Monument record TUN 055 - Earthworks of probable medieval to post medieval wood banks
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3766 5464 (166m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||TUNSTALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WOOD BANK? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOUND? (Unknown date)
- MOUND? (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD?)
- MOUND? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD?)
November 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks of wood banks and/or boundaries of possible medieval to post medieval date and a possible mound are visible on LIDAR imagery (S1) within Tunstall Forest. Other possible features may be visible on (S2) but were not included within mapping. It is possible the mound may relate to recent clearance activity or alternatively Second World War training.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th November 2015.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2016 3:52PM