Monument record WNN 027 - Earthworks within Staverton Park woodland
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3570 5062 (1142m by 918m)|
|Civil Parish||WANTISDEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- SETTLEMENT? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
November 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks of a series of small rectangular enclosures, boundaries and trackways of probable medieval to post medieval date are visible on Lidar imagery and infrared aerial photographs (S1-S3) and to a lesser extent on (S4) within ‘ancient’ woodland and the medieval deer park (WNN 008). Staverton Park is thought to have been created as deer park between the 11th-13th centuries, potentially as early as 1178 (WNN 008), so it is possible that the earthworks within the woodland relate to the pre-park landscape emparked within the deer park. A substantial earthwork of medieval date, Cumberland’s Mount, is located to the immediate north (WNN 001), which may be contemporary – although it generally interpreted as being associated with the deer park. The rectangular enclosures, generally 20-25m across, could relate to domestic dwellings and/or stock enclosures. These features would require investigation on the ground to interpret further and assess archaeological significance. It must also be noted that some of the boundary ditches and trackways could feasibly also relate to later routes through the woods.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th November 2015.
- <S1> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM3550 Environment Agency 2m DTM 25-JUL-2011.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM3551 Environment Agency 2m DTM 25-JUL-2011.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. TM 3550 Next Perspectives APGB Imagery Digital Infra Red 03-MAY-2013 (PGA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2016 4:43PM