Monument record HLY 154 - The cropmarks of a ring ditch and/or circular enclosure of probable prehistoric date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3417 4294 (47m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC?)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC?)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- HENGIFORM MONUMENT? (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The site of a large sub-circular or polygonal enclosure of uncertain, but probable prehistoric date is visible on aerial photographs (S1-S3). The enclosure measures approximately 39m by 42m and line of the ditch appears to be formed by straight, segmented sections, with a possible entrance or causeway to the southeast.
Given the size and morphology of the polygonal monument it could be interpreted as relating to a hengiform monument of the later Neolithic to early Bronze Age. Alternatively the enclosure could also have defined a Neolithic or Bronze Age round barrow or similar funerary/mortuary monument or relate to later prehistoric domestic activity. The north-eastern side of the enclosure is either overlain by, or incorporates, the route of a braided trackway (ADT 099). The ditches relating to a possible enclosure or farmstead, also ADT 099, are also located in the same location. Excavation would be required to establish the sequence between all of these components.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 20th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/79 V 5062-5063 27-JUL-1948 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/79 V 5116-5117 27-JUL-1948 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/79 V 5126-5127 27-JUL-1948 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 29 2017 3:55PM