Monument record STT 076 - Site of undated, possibly prehistoric and/or Roman period field system, and possible enclosures and roundhouse.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3195 4408 (706m by 978m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTTISHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- SETTLEMENT? (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH? (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- SETTLEMENT? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RING DITCH? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Unknown date)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
An undated field system, perhaps including enclosures and a possible roundhouse, is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3). Although undated, the cropmarks are similar to others mapped in Norfolk and Suffolk where a prehistoric to Roman period date is likely. The site forms part of a swathe of cropmark field systems, trackways and enclosures visible across the landscape, stretching from the Deben to the coast (for example, SUT 049, STT 065 and STT 016 to the north, HLY 165 to the east, and RMS 021 to the south). Like many of these other sites, there is some evidence that the cropmarks recorded here may represent more than one phase of activity. It is also possible that parts of the field system represent distinct enclosures, and that this, together with the possible roundhouse, indicates settlement. The roundhouse (at TM 3192 4423) is small and not entirely convincing, however, and parts of the apparent enclosures and subdivisions within the field system are faint and may instead represent geology.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service CUCAP BNL103 22-JUN-1973 (Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-AUG-2007 ACCESSED 28-APR-2016 (Digital).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 28-APR-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 4:21PM