Monument record ORF 147 - Magazine dating from 1916
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4402 4891 (12m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two bomb stores dated circa 1916 are visible as structures on aerial photographs on Orfordness, centred on circa TM43884881 and circa TM44014891. The bomb stores date for the period when Orfordness was the home of the Experimental Flying Section which carried out early experiments with bombs and their release gear. These structures were originally connected to the main research site on Orfordness by a light railway that crossed Stony Ditch on a narrow gauge bridge. (S1-4).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S5).
Structure D1: The Magazine is a rectangular single storey building constructed from standard concrete blocks (0.75m (2ft 6ins) x 0.24m (10ins)x 0.10m (4ins) laid to cavity wall construction. It is covered by a shallow pitch pyramidal timber framed roof, weather boarded with felt over with a central ventilation lantern. The Magazine is entered from the north through double wooden outward opening doors each leaf is covered by a steel sheet. To either side the entrance is flanked by window openings and small metal vents, and to its west a REVO electrical fuse box. The doors and windows appear to date from the 1950s or 1960s. Externally there are a number of bronze fastenings, which were used to fix copper lightning straps. In the rear, south, wall is a single metal 1930s style vent. To the side of the doors is another cast iron vent. Internally is a central walkway with later raised concrete storage platforms to either side, it was latterly lit by enclosed magazine type lighting.
Formerly recorded as ORF 070.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-OCT-41.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50131 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Kinsey. 1981. Orfordness - Secret Site, A History of the Establishment 1915-1980. Kinsey, G. (1981).
- <S4> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. March 2003.
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. D1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2016 1:22PM