Monument record ORF 148 - Magazine store dated circa 1916
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4388 4881 (14m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two bomb stores dated circa 1916 are visible as structures on aerial photographs on Orfordness, centred on circa TM43884881 and circa TM44014891. The bomb stores date for the period when Orfordness was the home of the Experimental Flying Section which carried out early experiments with bombs and their release gear. These structures were originally connected to the main research site on Orfordness by a light railway that crossed Stony Ditch on a narrow gauge bridge. (S1-4).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S5).
Structure D2: The lower section of the magazine is of mass concrete construction, this was subsequently raised by the addition of a brick upper section, its outer surface was then cement rendered to give a uniform appearance. It is covered by a timber framed pyramidal roof with wooden boards covered by felt, there was originally a central ventilation lantern. The Magazine is entered from the north through a double door, this was originally flanked by windows to either side, which have subsequently been blocked. To the east of the door is the remains of wooden box protecting electrical switch gear. Internally is a longitudinal walkway, 1.34m (4ft 5ins)with raised storage areas to either side. At the rear of the Magazine a concrete plaque records ‘Ches Fld Coy RE’ (Cheshire Field Company Royal Engineers). Above is a travelling crane by ‘Herbert Morris Ltd Loughborough 1 ton’ The building is lit by 1950s style pendant lights and is heated by electrical wall heaters, a sign records ‘Man Limit 4’. Attached to the north east corner of the building is a small brick addition, constructed of red brick cavity wall construction in stretcher bond with a flat concrete roof. A concrete plaque on its north wall records ‘1931’. Terracotta ventilation blocks at floor level and eaves height vent the cavity and metal vents the interior. It is entered from the north through a single wooden door. It is lit to the south by a small hinged wooden 4 light window with opaque wired glass, with concrete cills and lintels. Internally, the floor is covered in aspahlt, there is a single electrical socket and inclined pipe that connects back to the main magazine. A number 85 is sprayed on its north wall.
Previously recorded as ORF 070.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-OCT-41.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50131 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Kinsey. 1981. Orfordness - Secret Site, A History of the Establishment 1915-1980. Kinsey, G. (1981).
- <S4> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. March 2003.
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. D2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2016 1:22PM