Monument record ORF 149 - Fuze magazine dated circa 1936
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4383 4884 (7m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Three storage structures associated with the military research establishment on Orfordness (see ORF 021) are visible on aerial photographs located on the high ground above Stony Creek, centred on circa TM43834884. The structures have been identified by Angus Wainwright, the archaeologist of the National trust, as a magazine, a special ammunition store and a component store, all of which date to 1936. Two of the structures are circa 6m x 3m in size, whilst the third appears to be circa 5m x 8m in size, although it may include some storage area beneath an adjacent earthwork mound, particularly if it was used to store explosive material. (S1-3).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S4).
Structure D4: The Fuze Magaine is a single storey brick built structure comprising an inner Fletton brick wall laid to English bond, a cavity and an outer red brick cladding wall laid to stretcher bond. The Magazine is set on a foundation course laid to English bond with a double layer Welsh slate damp proof course. The cavity is ventilated by earthenware ventilation bricks, while the bays are ventilated by metal vents set at floor and eaves level. At the east end of the building is self-contained bay formerly accessed from
a single outward opening wooden door to the north. To the west are two further bays formerly accessed from a single wooden outward opening door with bronze door furniture, adjacent to the door is a metal boot scraper. This door gave access to a shifting lobby with coat hooks remaining on the east wall and on the west wall is a blackboard. Access to the central bay clean area was over a toeboard, whose position is marked by wooden batons. All the bays were lit by enclosed magazine type lights with wires sealed in metal small bore metal pipes, at the east end of the building is a metal electrical switch box. To the south each bay is lit by a pair of hinged wooden 4 light windows with opaque wired glass. On the west wall are some surviving fixing bands for the copper lightning conductor strap.
Formerly recorded under ORF 071.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-10-41.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. verbal communication, March 2003.
- <S4> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. D4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2016 1:55PM