Monument record ORF 150 - Fuze magazine dated circa 1936
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4379 4881 (7m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Three storage structures associated with the military research establishment on Orfordness (see ORF 021) are visible on aerial photographs located on the high ground above Stony Creek, centred on circa TM43834884. The structures have been identified by Angus Wainwright, the archaeologist of the National trust, as a magazine, a special ammunition store and a component store, all of which date to 1936. Two of the structures are circa 6m x 3m in size, whilst the third appears to be circa 5m x 8m in size, although it may include some storage area beneath an adjacent earthwork mound, particularly if it was used to store explosive material. (S1-3).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S4).
Structure D5: The Fuze Magazine is a single storey brick built structure comprising an inner Fletton brick wall laid to English bond, a cavity and an outer cladding in red brick wall laid to stretcher bond, the cavity is ventilated by earthenware vents. It is set on a brick foundation course with a double layer Welsh slate damp proof course and has a flat asphalt covered concrete roof. The Magazine was entered from the northeast through a porch or shifting lobby (now collapsed), access into the magazine area was over a toe board, whose position is marked by surviving wooden batons. Internally the magazine is divided into a longitudinal corridor to the east and to the west are three small self contained magazine bays, each originally closed by a wooden outward opening door with brass door furniture. Each bay was ventilated by a metal vent in its west wall. The magazine corridor was lit by two pairs of 4 light metal framed windows to either side of the porch, which was itself lit by a similar window. The windows are fitted with opaque wired glass. On the southwest corner of the Magazine are a number of surviving fixing points for the lightning conductor earthing strap. A number 87 is sprayed on the Magazine.
Formerly recorded under ORF 071.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-10-41.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. verbal communication, March 2003.
- <S4> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. D5.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2016 2:12PM