Monument record ORF 167 - Mess Room circa 1956
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4421 4863 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S1).
Structure F8: This small single storey brick built store is oriented north to south and is constructed from Burwell whites laid Flemish bond with closers. It has a flat asphalt covered concrete roof. On the west side is a large double opening with a concrete lintel and later breeze block infill, iron fittings probably mark the position of a former door frame. To the east of the door is an electrical socket. Its north elevation is blank except for an external light fitting. The east elevation south has a double window opening with concrete lintel and sloping tile sill. In the south elevation was a window opening which has subsequently been blocked and a single door inserted. Internally on the north wall is a horizontal white tile band splashback, and on the south wall are remains of electrical switch gear. It has a red painted concrete floor slab.
SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT (S2).
- <S1> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. F8.
- <S2> SSF56379 Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1416933.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2016 2:36PM