Monument record ORF 168 - Power house associated with a marine navigation beacon tower circa 1933
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (4)
- EXHIBITION HALL (Late 20th century to 21st century - 1993 AD? to 2050 AD? (between))
- GENERATOR HOUSE (Early 20th century - 1924 AD? to 1930 AD? (between))
- WORKSHOP (Early 20th century to Late 20th century - 1930 AD to 1973 AD? (between))
- POWER HOUSE (Early 20th century - 1924 AD? to 1930 AD? (between))
An early experimental marine navigation radio beacon tower and associated power house are visible as structures on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards, located on the beach at Orfordness at circa TM44514880 (S1, S2). These buildings were probably constructed circa 1928, and are referred to as 'The W/T Transmitter Building (Radio Research)' in Kinsey's history of Orfordness. They were used in ship-to-shore communications experiments until the end of the 1920s, and possibly in early radio-location (or RADAR) experiments but there is a possibility this is one of many myths to later develop about the early work on Orfordness (S3-4).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S5).
Structure G2: The former Generator House and Workshop is a single storey red brick building laid to stretcher bond with gable ends to the east and west with wooden framed occular windows in each of the gable end walls. Internally there is a single wooden kingpost truss with raking struts and a steel rsj lifting beam, on the floor are the scars from the removal of plant. The roof is currently clad in modern galvanised, corrugated metal sheeting and the building is vented with terracotta vents at floor and eaves height. In the north elevation are two wooden 8 light windows with concrete sills and lintels, the west elevation is blank. Abutting the south elevation is a later red brick porch laid to English bond with a flat concrete roof, entry is through double wooden doors on the east side of the porch. On the south elevation is a large, probably inserted, metal framed 15 light window. To the east was a probably secondary outshot which has subsequently been demolished, its position marked by a scar on the south wall. The opening to the main building has been infilled in red brick and a 9 light metal framed window. Subsequent to the demolition of the outshot a concrete slab was laid at the southeast corner to support two barrels of 0.92m diameter (3ft). Immediately to the south of the building is a possible tank support width 1.69m (5ft 7ins )x length 0.32m (1 ft) height (1ft 1in)0.42m (1ft 4ins).
Formerly recorded under ORF 069.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2E/BR11/12 13-14 08-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4373-4 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50131 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Kinsey. 1981. Orfordness - Secret Site, A History of the Establishment 1915-1980. Kinsey, G. (1981).
- <S4> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. September 2003.
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. G2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2016 10:31AM