Building record SMT 013 - 16th century former Inn

Please read our .

Summary

16th century Inn The Hare and Hounds. Now a dwelling.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8140 5192 (22m by 32m)
Map sheet TL85SW
Civil Parish SOMERTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

The house is a Grade II listed building. Formerly an Inn and last used as such in 1950. Now a private dwelling. Earlier it was known as "The Kicking Dickey". A 16th century timber-framed and plastered building with a cross wing at the west end. Altered in the 18th century when the cross wing was given a mansard roof. 1 storey and attics. Casement windows. Roof tiled, with a gabled dormer to the main block. The east end of the roof is of 20th century pantiles and a modern wing extends to the south. The interior has exposed timber-framing (S1).

The dwelling, believed to have originally been a farmhouse, was built in the late 16th/early 17th centuries. The date of the timber outbuilding is uknown but is of probable 18th/19th century date. The barn to the north was extensively damaged in a fire in December 2013. Although not listed it is in the curtilage of the main house. (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1033562.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Waterman. 2014. Heritage Statement The Hare and Hounds, Somerton.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 20 2016 6:08PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.