Monument record ELV 101 - Cropmarks of possible ditches of uncertain date and significance
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (3)
January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of fragmentary ditches and possible incomplete rectilinear enclosures of unknown date and significance are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S5). There is a possibility that some, feasibly all, of the mapped ‘ditches’ relate to periglacial striped ground or similar features. The extent of the site includes the location of some possible cropmark ditches not included within the mapping, due to uncertainty over their archaeological origin and significance.
The cropmarks within the northern part of the site correspond with an area of evaluations (ELV 053-054) and excavations (ELV 089/Area 12) in advance of the A11 dualling works (S6-S7). Segments of undated ditches and pits were recorded for this area during the evaluation (S6). However the main excavations found no archaeological features in Area 12 (S7), including the part where a few possible ditches were tentatively identified on the aerial photographs within the northeastern part of this site. This could suggest that the cropmarks relate to geomorphological linear features either dismissed or not visible within the trench. The area of possible cropmarks to the west of the plantation belt are outside of the area excavated so no comparative evidence exists.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th January 2018.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2688 F21 0217-0218 25-JAN-1959 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/71369 V 277-278 21-JUL-1971 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 01-JAN-1999 ACCESSED 14-JAN-2018 (Digital).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 19-MAR-2003 ACCESSED 14-JAN-2018 (Digital).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 02-JUL-2006 ACCESSED 14-JAN-2018 (Digital).
- <S6> SSF59347 Unpublished document: Watkins, P.. 2006. An Archaeological Evaluation in Advance of the A11 Fiveways to Thetford Road Improvement Scheme.
- <S7> SSF58316 Unpublished document: Lees, M.. 2013. A11 Fiveways to Thetford road improvements. A post excavation assessment of archaeological excavations 2012–2013.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 6:23PM