Building record EDN 031 - Home Farmhouse (Formerly the Old Vicarage)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Location
Grid reference | Centred TL 9406 4202 (18m by 22m) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TL94SW |
Civil Parish | EDWARDSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK |
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
The earliest part of the house is the north cross-wing which probably dates from the 15th century. It was attached to an open hall standing on the site of the central range of the present house. The south cross-wing is of uncertain date but may be medieval. In addition to other phases of change, major alterations where carried out at sometime between 1777 and 1784.
The house was remodelled in the early 19th century when it became farm workers cottages for Edwardstone Hall. The manor house and a series of outbuildings were completely redevloped in the 1830s by the Dawson family. The vicar, the Reverend George Dawson had already moved his residence away from the Old Vicarage, probably when he took up his post in 1817.
At some time after 1838, the barn which stood close to the Old Vicarage was demolished and a new farmstead was constructed to the south of the house servinf Edwardstone Hall Farm, and this would have been known as 'the Home Farm'. Although the buildings have nearly all been demolished, they can be reconstructed from an aerial photograph of 1964 and from early Ordance Survey maps.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SSF61655 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P., and Joubert, N.. 2015. Heritage Asset Assessment: Home Farmhouse (formerly the Old Vicarage), Edwardstone.
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2023 3:04PM