Monument record SUT 040 - A possible Prehistoric or Roman field system, west of Ferry Farm, Sutton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2827 4808 (715m by 625m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- HOUSE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
Field system complex, basically rectilinear with orientation to cardinal compass points. Trackways appear to be associated and on same orientation. At the southern end in particular it seems possible that there is great intricacy with even some very small circular marks ? building sized. (S1) (S2)
A possible Prehistoric or Roman ditched field system with associated trackways is visible as cropmarks on an aerial photograph (S1), centred on TM 28104796. A trackway runs on a north-south alignment for 200m down the middle of the site from TM 28064813 to TM 28084793. It is possible that this trackway was recut a number of times. Another stretch of isolated trackway is visible to the north of the first, running on an east-west alignment, centred on TM 28114818. Two groups of probable rectilinear enclosures are visible. The first, centred on TM 28064813, is probably a group of fields and the second, centred on TM 28114796, is a group of much smaller enclosures, for example the most complete enclosure is 14m by 11m. These smaller enclosures are likely to be settlement enclosures and this idea is supported by the small ring ditch, which encloses an area roughly 4m in diameter and may be a hut circle, located within one of these small enclosures. Various other linear ditched features are visible across the site which may indicate a large number of other enclosures but these cannot be clearly picked out due to the quality of the cropmarks. The field system is probably of Prehistoric or Roman date. (S3)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BQK87) 16-JUL-1974.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BQK 87, BNB 4.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNB4) 08-JUN-1973.
- <S3> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 2:30PM