Monument record MRM 012 - Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath; Spratt's Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2555 4535 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Round Barrow (Martlesham Heath Barrow Number 4).
1838: One of three marked on OS one inch map, first edition. 1935: Large tree covered bowl (R1).
1962: Bowl barrow in good condition except for an old excavation trench and pit in the centre. Turf covered with trees growing upon it, the barrow has a diameter of 21m and is 1.8m high (S3).
1974: Mound circa 25m diameter, 1.84m high. An old excavation in the centre of the mound was cleared out. This proved to be of Second World War date. This disturbance reached a depth of 1.6m below the surface of the mound. Only finds were 3 sherds of pottery (one BA, one Rom, one ?Sax) and some flint flakes. The site was backfilled after the excavation (S4).
1981: Square trench on summit, nettle-filled. Grass covered and bracken and oak trees. Ditch not very marked (S1).
1985: Possible slight traces of ditch. Mound had dip in centre and is covered with oak, grass, bracken and brambles (S1).
1991: Said to be at risk. Three ploughed over, no indication. Three overgrown, one preserved in ploughland, two maintained by residents in private garden, one levelled to make lawn (S2).
1994: SAM area revised (S1).
- <R1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF45274 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S1> SSF5258 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, SAM File 21268.
- <S2> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <M2> SSF45275 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE9B.
- <S4> SSF10891 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, The Excav of Barrows 2, 3 & 4, Martlesham Heath, 1974, E Ang Archaeol, 3, 1976, 17-41.
- <S5> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Martin E) (Ref: SAU (Martin E)) (ESF15740)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13966)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF14013)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13996)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson-Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson-Mackay R)) (ESF13640)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by NWHCM (Ref: NWHCM) (ESF13191)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13858)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:08AM