Monument record MRM 018 - Round Barrow in Portal Avenue
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2423 4616 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow in Portal Avenue.
1935: Large bowl covered with conifers, no visible ditch (NWHCM).
1962: A large bowl barrow situated on the edge of Martlesham Airfield and much mutilated by slit trenches, etc. Mound has a diameter of 30.5m and is about 2.0m high. It is bracken and bramble covered and has fir trees growing upon it (S3).
1977: In a small plantation between houses, 30m in diameter and 2.63m high. Covered with fir trees. Various disturbances on the summit, otherwise in very good condition (R1).
1985: A large and prominent barrow (S1).
1991: Said to be at risk. Rabbit damage. Appears to have been used as children's playground (S2).
- <M1> SSF44660 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <M2> SSF44661 (No record type): Photograph: FD 10.
- <M3> SSF44662 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NW29.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF14011)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13962)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13994)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by NWHCM (Ref: NWHCM) (ESF13134)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13625)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13849)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:19PM