Monument record FXL 020 - Circular enclosure/ring ditch visible by cropmarks, unknown date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2312 4299 (107m by 90m)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
?Ring ditch/circular enclosure, circa 45m diameter, very clearly defined - ? Modern (S1).
The cropmarks of a very narrow ring ditch and a possible trackway, both of unknown date, are visible in a field immediately to the east of Lodge Farm, Foxhall parish. The cropmark trackway, and a similar fragment 150 metres to the south (FXL 048), are on a similar alignment to the track in FXL 035, and may all belong to an earlier, possibly medieval or post-medieval track system. The ring ditch is circa 40 metres in diameter and only approximately 1 metre wide. Although it is possible it marks the site of a round barrow it is probably more recent in date and may be the remains of an agricultural circular enclosure or stack stand. (S3-S5)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BXY 64, 1975; BJG 70, 1972.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BXY 64, BJG 70; Essex C C CP/06/15/12.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/15/12, June 1996.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 5195-6 28-JUL-1948.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/92363 78-79 27-JUN-1992.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/11 (RHF 19522/02) 09-JUN-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2013 4:06PM