Monument record STN 149 - Former War Department huts, erected by Forestry Commission
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8147 8791 (334m by 168m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
July 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Two separate groups of huts, many with a curved profile, are visible on 1950s aerial photographs (S1)-(S4). The easternmost group at least, which occupies the site of the modern Forestry Commission offices and car park, are almost certainly the former War Department huts erected by the Forestry Commission in 1947. These were demolished in 1965 (S4). It is notable that on the 1951 aerial photographs (S1), the area of land between the two groups has been substantially disturbed, or is occupied by heaps of unknown materials.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th July 2017.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/651 RS 4293-4294 24-APR-1951 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. RAF/58/1256/PSFO-0016-0019 03-SEP-1953 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1733 V 0037-0038 01-NOV-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF57919 Bibliographic reference: Skipper, K. and Williamson, T.. 1997. Thetford Forest. Making a Landscape, 1922-1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 10:42AM