Farmstead record KND 025 - Farmstead: Knodishall Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4266 6188 (128m by 131m)|
|Civil Parish||KNODISHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FARM (19th century to IPS: Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- BARN (19th century to IPS: Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- LOOSE BOX (19th century to IPS: Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- SHED (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- FARMYARD (19th century to IPS: Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- MODEL FARM (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Knodishall Hall is a 19th century model farm. It sits alongside a private track in association with a rectory and church. This farmstead survives intact.
Knodishall Hall is a 19th century red brick structure which was rebuilt after its predecessor was destroyed by fire in about 1860. The tithe map of 1846 shows a scattered group of farm buildings including what appears to be a pair of barns flanking an enclosed yard to the south. By 1855 the property had become part of the estate of Lord Huntingield of Hevengham Hall. In the 1860s, possibly at the same time as the rebuilding of the main house, the old farm buildings were replaced with a new 'model' farm consisting of 7 yards enclosed by uniform ranges of pantiled red brick grouped in two adjoining complexes. Unfortunately the buildings were heavily altered and partly demolished in the mid-20th century. A large early 19th century timber-framed and weatherboard barn which formed the western edge of the sourthern complex, the only structure remaining from before the remodelling, was almost completely demolished to leave only its two northern bays standing. These bays had been converted into the stable and granary of the model farm, but were further altered in the 1950s to create a new cow shed. The resulting structure is arguably the most heavily disguised hsitroic barn in Suffolk (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S1> SSF58231 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2013. Heritage Asset Assessment: Farm Buildings at Knodishall Hall, Knodishall.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2019 1:16PM