Monument record MDM 002 - Small square Medieval moat.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2768 8011 (102m by 113m)|
|Civil Parish||MENDHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Site of small square moat, W side only surviving. The 1:10560 map shows the N and E sides, the S side being formed by a field boundary now gone. Adjoins the formerly existing 'Cockers Green' (MDM 071). Site now marked by a scatter of C14-C15 pottery, lava mill stone fragments, oyster shells and a fragment of an iron key. There was a cottage (MDM 070) just outside the moated area on the N side (S1).
The northern arm of this small square moated site of probable medieval date can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s (S3, S4).
- <M1> SSF36004 (No record type): Fieldwalking report Hardy M J 1984.
- <R1> SSF5569 (No record type): East Suffolk County Council, AP 29/3152.
- <S1> SSF7256 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1984.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeology in Suffolk 1984, PSIA, 36, 1985, (1), 47-48.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4065-6 16-OCT-1945.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 3197-8 18-JAN-47.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2016 3:21PM