Farmstead record LDM 011 - Farmstead: Linstead Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3104 7602 (125m by 109m)|
|Civil Parish||LINSTEAD MAGNA, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- BARN (18th century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- SHELTER SHED? (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- CATTLE SHELTER? (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Linstead Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a multiyard pattern with U-plan and full plan elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use.
19th century farm complex with medieval farmhouse and mid 18th century timber-framed barn and attached 19th century stable. On the 1st edition OS map the farm consists of the farmhouse, the 18th century barn and 5 other outbuildings in the complex which are likely to be 19th century. The buildings are arranged in a regular courtyard plan with multiple yards. The western range consists of a open-sided shed facing eastwards into the yard. These are likely to be shelter sheds for livestock. There are a further two open-sided builidngs attached to the 18th century barn on the north and east side. The barn attached to the eastside of the western range is a late19th/early20th century addtion. The complex is mostly still intact however the southern end of the western range has been lost (S1)(S2).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S1> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2021 5:29PM