Monument record BUC 003 - Ring ditch of a [pssible round barrow, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2370 4188 (25m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch. Ploughed out barrow, single circle, circa 20m diameter, part of group within complex BUC 012 (S1)(S2).
The ring ditch of a possible round barrow can be seen on aerial photographs as a cropmark to the south west of Bucklesham village, Bucklesham parish, centred on circa TM236418. The ditch is between 2 and 3 metres in width, the complete circle approximately 24 metres in diameter. A pit may be visible as faint cropmark within the ring ditch but may just be part of the background geological patterning in this area, and has not been transcribed. This ring ditch may be part of a barrow cemetery formed with the nearby features recorded as BUC 021-023 and BUC 002. (S4-S7)
- <M1> SSF46556 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASK 26, 1967.
- <S2> SSF17492 (No record type): RCHME, AP TM 2341/7/301, June 1976.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/34/31, June 1997.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4033-4 06-JUL-1944.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2342/27/316 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2342/27/319 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2341/1/228 (956) 07-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2013 10:37AM