Monument record NAC 119 - Icehouse, Orwell Park School, Orwell Park

Please read our .

Summary

Post-medieval icehouse, which was demolished in 1951, exact location unknown.

Location

Grid reference TM 215 395 (point)
Map sheet TM23NW
Civil Parish NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

1990: The icehouse was demolished, and the well filled in 1951. The structure was circular, with conical thatched roof; there were two skins of brickwork with a cavity in between. One of the few still in use during the 1920s. Ice was collected from 2 ponds (S1). Not visible on 1st or 2nd edition OS maps.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 8 2018 3:52PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.