Monument record BUC 010 - Ring ditch and field system of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2553 4124 (433m by 437m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ditch system and ring ditch, circa 30m diameter, NE of Redhouse Farm (S1). 1996: Field now covered with farm and pig pens (S2).
A ring ditch of unknown date and function can be seen on aerial photographs as a cropmark, centred on circa TM255411, approximately 150 metres east of Pyghtle Cottage, Bucklesham parish. The ditch is between 1.5 and 2 metres wide enclosing an area circa 30 metres in diameter. An entrance or break in the cropmark cannot be seen. However, the surrounding cropmarks appear to be aligned on the ring ditch (see BUC 080), which could support an interpretation of similar date, possibly to the later prehistoric period. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF18672 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 15,16, ACS 8, ACU 2.
- <M1> SSF44842 (No record type): APs: ACQ 15,16, ACS 8, ACU 2; (S2).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachen D, AP, CP/96/15/9, 13 June 1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2541/13 (1766/443) 04-JUN-1989.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2541/4 25-JUL-1975.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 11:53AM