Building record HGH 059 - Haughly Park House and garden wall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0044 6191 (47m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||HAUGHLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Grade I listed building. Large country house, probably c.1620-30 for Sir John Sulyard. Remodelling of early C19. Partial reconstruction after major fire of c.1970. Red brick in English bond with plastered bands at 1st and 2nd floors. Shallow corner pilasters with circular finials of carved brick at head and foot of crowstepped parapet gables. Plaintiled roofs. 3 original external chimneys with tall triple octagonal shafts, star-topped (the shafts are rebuilt in C19 and C20 red brick). 2 storeys and attics. Attached C17 and C18 garden walls, mainly of red brick. Attached to the rear of the service wing at the south end is a late C19 stable range with lodgings above, remodelled in mid C20 to form offices (S1).
The house was built circa 1620 for John Sulyard and `was badly damaged by fire in 1961 and has since been rebuilt. It was of red brick and had an impressive symmetrical E facade on an E-plan'. Further details in (S2)
The manor and park of Haughly belonged to the de la Poles, Dukes of Suffolk and afterwards to the estate of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, but he either sold them or exchanged them with the Crown. John Sulyard afterwards had a grant of them from the Crown and, after building the house here in 1620, his son (another John Sulyard) made Haughley his residence. After 1799 G W Jerningham Esq was resident. In 1811 the whole estate was sold in 1811 to William Crawford. Between 1855 and 1874 Haughley was acquired by Arthur Charles Pretyman. In 1924 the estate became the property and residence of the Henderson family. In 1958 the house and 67 acres of land were sold. The main estate and the majority of the park was sold separately in 1961 (S3).
Early 19th century illustrations show a walled court adjacent to the house. The 1845 Tithe Map shows a garden to the north of the house (S3).
- <S1> SSF50169 Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1181268.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 251.
- <S3> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 17 2018 3:33PM