Monument record BUC 015 - Prehistoric field system, enclosures and trackways, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2382 4144 (743m by 730m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Three sub-square enclosures, one with associated trackway (extending into BUC 012), field systems, burnt stones, struck flints scattered over field (S1). 1991: Sub-square enclosure in SE corner of field, circa 110m diameter confirmed by excavation of enclosure ditches at TM 2414 4113 & 2402 4112 and by internal features - see BUC 029. N & W sides of this enclosure visible on Aps, E & S masked by Levington Lane & field boundary. Excavation of E ditch noted above. S edge of field has a double bank & ditch - ?surviving enclosure earthworks (S2).
Ditched rectilinear enclosures, field boundaries and trackways of probable prehistoric date can be seen as cropmarks to the south of Bucklesham village, Bucklesham parish, centred on circa TM239413. The three sub-square enclosures described above are probably those at circa TM240413, TM239413 and TM240411. The NMP surveyhas identified a further rectilinear enclosure at circa TM240412. The sub-square enclosure at the south-eastern corner of the field (TM240411) is different in character to the other enclosures, being more curvilinear in form. The ditch of this enclosure may also be interupted in a number of causeways, possibly with evidence for an extenal palisade trench. This feature could predate it's neighbours, potentially dating to the Neolithic or early Bronze Age period. The northernmost of the enclosures may be alinged upon a ditched trackway that is visible for circa 750 metres, but the relationship between the enclosure and track is unclear. (S1-S11)
1976: Mention of two rectangular prehistoric enclosures (S12)(S13).
- <S1> SSF18719 (No record type): SAU, APs ACX 8,9,11.
- <M1> SSF46558 (No record type): APs: (S)(S3).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW38.
- <S2> SSF18078 (No record type): SAU (Newman J), site report BUC 029, July 1991.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, APs, CP/97/34/27-30, & CP/97/36/34-35, July 1997.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/22 4056-7 06-JUL-1944.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/699 5087-9 31-MAY-1951.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441/10 27-JUL-1979.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2341/4 (1766/434) 04-JUN-1980.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441/39 (21366/15) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S9> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441/34 (RHF 19515/01) 21-JUL-1978.
- <S10> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441/30 (RHF 19508/34) 16-AUG-1983.
- <S11> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441/44 (21335/03) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S12> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S13> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 23 2018 11:53AM