Monument record BUC 016 - Ring ditch or oval enclosure of unkown date, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2625 4079 (26m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, diameter approximately 25m. Traces of field system to the S. S of BUC 008 (S1)(S2).
A ring ditch or oval enclosure, approximately 20 metres by 15 metres in diameter, is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark centred on circa TM26274078, roughly 600 metres to the south-west of Kembroke Hall and immediately to the east of a cropmark complex of field boundaries and ring ditches (BUC 008), Bucklesham parish. The ditch appears to be circa 1.5 metres wide and the slightly longer axis of the feature is orientated north-west to south-east. Without further investigation it is not possible to be sure of the date of the ring-ditch, and it may be the site of a Bronze Age barrow or earlier mortuary enclosure. However, its proximity to BUC 008, which has been tentatively dated to the later prehistoric or Roman periods, could support an interpretation of a similar date and a function as a round house. (S4-S6)
- <S1> SSF18331 (No record type): SAU, AP ACX 13.
- <M1> SSF46210 (No record type): APs: ACX 13; (S3).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SE15.
- <S2> SSF21117 (No record type): SCC, vertical AP 1986, 1486 110 (Ipswich).
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, APs, CP/96/17/10, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2640/18 (EXC 19116/06) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2640/9 (RHF 11472/146/3) 12-JUL-1976.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2640/12 (1662/148-9) 19/JUL/1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 12:10PM