Monument record KIR 004 - Trapezoidal ditched enclosure, Kirton Hall (NW of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 264 400 (91m by 170m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Large trapezoid enclosure. Small long rectangular enclosure? To SE. Entrance at S end (S1)(S2)(S5).
A large trapezoidal ditched enclosure of unknown date, roughly 85 metres by 50 metres in size, can be seen on air photographs as cropmarks circa 400 metres to the north-west of Kirton Hall, centred on circa TM26464004, Kirton parish. A possible annexe to the enclosure can be seen extending for approximately 70 metres to the south of the main enclosure. Numerous smaller enclosures, possible field boundaries and a trackway can be seen in the immediate area to the east and west (see KIR?). It is not possible to confidently ascribe a date to the enclosures but they do not appear to relate the modern field system and may predate them by some time, potentially originating in the later prehistoric period. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF18674 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 17, 18.
- <M1> SSF46537 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, BUZ 47.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/37/8-11, July 1997.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2640/20 (EXC 19116/09) 23-JUL-1997.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2640/1 (956/250) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 3 2018 4:17PM