Building record BIL 044 - The Outbuilding 147 The High Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9915 4962 (16m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||BILDESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
The substantial detached outbuilding is a much disguised timber-framed structure of considerable historic interest. The southern end of the range, which follows a slightly different alignment to the majority, represents a three-bay service cross-wing of the late-15th century from which a projecting jetty has been removed. The profile of a demolished medieval open hall is clearly defined by soot encrustation on its northern wall, and the roof of its rear bay is itself heavily sooted which suggests that it formed a rare dyehouse or brewhouse. The adjacent structure to the north, which occupies the site of the medieval hall, dates from the late-17th century and, while much mutilated, appears to form a two-storied commercial building such as a warehouse. The two timber-frames were unified in the early-19th century when their ground-floor walls were rebuilt in brick and the premises operated as ‘Squirrells Brewery’, which name is incised into the render of the front elevation. The adjacent dwelling house is understood to date from 1828, and is probably contemporary with this remodelling (S1).
- --- SSF58857 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2007. Historical Survey: The Outbuilding, 147 High Street, Bildeston.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2019 2:45PM