Monument record NBN 003 - Possible Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a partial cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2603 4309 (33m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, about two thirds visible, circa 30m in diameter. One of four in same field (see NBN 002, 004 & 022) and three in adjoining field (NBN 005, 006, & 016).
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date can be seen as a partial cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM260431 to the west of Newbourne village, Newbourne parish. The eastern and western sides of the ring ditch are not visible as cropmarks but the visible sections show a circular site with a diameter of approximately 25 metres. (S2, S3)
- <R1> SSF16491 (No record type): Post Office Research Centre, Martlesham Heath, AP, Run 1, HSL UK 70 1034 26 June 1970, photos 0148, .
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachen D, AP, CP/96/17/14, 13 June 1996.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/10 (4505/5) 14-JUL-1989.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2643/11 (4698/24A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/16 (4578/10) 28/MAY/1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 2:28PM